Initial Construction of Leaflet

Developed Wireframes



 Before I could begin to construct my initial designs in more detail, I felt that it would be necessary to refine and visualise my layout further first. This made me thoroughly consider which sections should be laid out in which position throughout my leaflet to create the most impact, especially ensuring that I include QR codes within the layout. Whilst it can be hard to visualise the folds digitally, I plan on printing out my initial designs to see how well they flow when actually in use. Compared to my previous sketched layout, I noticed that it would be necessary to add an additional fold down the horizontal centre of my leaflets. This is important as it must be able to fit into the pockets of walkers and a smaller size is much more successful for this. However, this also meant that I had to envision the layout in a different manner and how the experience is impacted by having a smaller cover and how text could no longer flow completely across the pages vertically. 


Prior to constructing my leaflets, I also decided to play with different ideas for a cover or 'eye-catching' piece that will be on the outside of the leaflet when picked up - using a simplistic, bold style and a more detailed, playful style. Whilst I personally prefer the style of the complicated style, I do think that the simplistic 'hills' could work well if experimented with further if preferred by the clients. 
I felt that it was very important to represent the landscape of the Worcestershire region through these covers as this is where the majority of the walks will taken place. Despite this, I think a bigger emphasis on the railway could be more successful when a style is taken further.

Design 1




In this design, I looked into creating a modern, playful but clear and accessible leaflet featuring lots of negative space that allows the eyes to explore and breathe. I really love the application of the pattern created earlier, slightly spilling over into the panel below to contrast the solid-ness of the rest of the design. I also really like how the verticality of the entire region map contrasts that of the sub-routes but this is up to change depending on the scaling of the region map. For the sub-routes, I felt that a simple line-map would work much better for this leaflet than a detailed map, allowing the user to see what stations comes after another, the leaflet itself will not be used for directions hence the usage of QR codes. Colour coding the two sub-routes helps to separate information for each line whilst not having to use any actual 'boxing' - semiotic application, whilst also appearing like the green landscape and the sky. 



Client Feedback - Lyndon

  • Loves pattern used - playful and colourful
  • Line map used for sub-routes works successfully. Layout of this page is good but images could be more creative instead of just being squares - maybe create some illustrations if you have time?
  • QR codes on this page work well to direct users to further info.
  • Title on front cover could be larger - too much white space.
  • Logo's can be moved to the back cover - not important. 


Design 2





For this design, I looked into creating a more united appearance by having colours flow over panels and curved, cut-out photographs to add a fun and fresh feeling to the design. I feel that this appearance adds to the modern take asked for by the client, to represent the innovation of the railroad in Worcestershire, as a step from the less eco-friendly past of the railway.  Colour coding was also used here to recognise each type piece with each line. I really like the use of more blocks of colour within both sides of this design, adding more life to the design which is something that is instantly eye catching and enticing. I also decided to add a more detailed map of each line (not accurate yet - as a placeholder) to see which style they prefer so I give the clients enough option to choose before I spend more time on progressing elements that are not wanted by them.





Client Feedback - Lyndon

  • Not a fan of front cover - verticality of landscape is not common around much of the Worcestershire region.
  • Likes photos being cropped into the curved shapes.
  • 'horizon line' theme works well - separating blue and green shapes into different sides of the pages horizontally.
  • Free-ness of curves work well.


Where to go from here?


To progress from here, I am going to mostly take elements from the first design as the route-maps work much more successfully here which is a crucial part of the design. I think that there are some issues layout-wise that need developing such as not having a title/logo on the first panel you see of the leaflet. I also think that the energy created by the landscape pattern is not carried through by the rest of the design which I think would create great harmony within the leaflet. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pictograms & Semiotics